Monday 25 June 2012

Glen Maye

A cliff walk from the Raggatt
 
Monday 25th June, 2012
 
We had another walk on Monday.  No sunny spells as promised by the weathermen, but the cool, overcast conditions were good for walking. 
 
There are fewer scenic photos than usual but this is because a friend in South Africa had asked for more wild flower photos and I took rather a lot.  I will send them in a separate email.
 

We started from the Raggatt and walked up along the track through the fields to the back of Peel Hill.  I don't know what the others were discussing.  I spent too much time photographing wild flowers and got left behind.



After climbing the hill we got our first view of the sea.
 


Then we walked along the overgrown cliff path towards Glen Maye . . .



. . . and I had a chance to show off the zoom on my new camera.  Cormorants on the rocks below.



The shore at Glen Maye.  Trevor taking photographs down by the river.



After this there was a bit of a gap in the photography.  I decided to take a photo of a weedy looking wild flower growing near the remains of the old lime kiln on the shore (which I later identified as kidney vetch) - and accidentally touched the video button.  It took me a while to realise what I had done because my favourite walking glasses only focus on distant objects.  I panicked and didn't take any more photos until we stopped at the picnic table at the bottom of the glen and Dorothy very kindly worked out how to delete the video.  After the break, my enthusiasm had been slightly dampened by this "equipment malfunction" and I didn't get my courage back until we were near the top of the "barley sugar hill".  This is the steep tarred road that leads from Glen Maye village up towards the south side of Slieau Whallian and an old farm called Garey.  The hill got this nickname years ago.  The private house at the bottom of the hill used to be the Glen Maye post office and shop.  Dorothy went in once during a very hot and tiring summer walk and bought some barley sugar which we credited with saving our lives during the long uphill slog.  
 
After we turned down the track which leads to the Barnell Lane and Patrick village, I took this last scenic photo of the green fields with white polka dot sheep.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment